The Aqua Gymstick, born from the original Gymstick in Finland, has evolved into a versatile aqua fitness tool. While using rubberised bands in water or land fitness classes isn’t groundbreaking, the Aqua Gymstick sets itself apart with its attachment to a bar. This innovation allows stationary, propulsive, and travelling exercises to harness the resistance created by the bands. Another noteworthy feature is the ability to ‘roll’ up the bands, creating increased tension and catering to various strength and fitness levels, particularly in a group exercise setting.
- “Aqua Gymstick provides a great overall workout. My physio has confirmed that I have greater mobility and strength since doing AQUA Gymstick on a regular basis.” – Denise, Aqua Gymstick participant
- “I cannot rave about Aqua Gymstick enough! The Aqua Gymstick IS what’s getting me into shape after baby #3. I can exercise by relaxing my tense shoulders and knowing my posture is fabulous. You know you’ve had a fantastic workout when you hop out of the pool feeling like you look like Elle MacPherson.” – Regular Deep Water Aqua evening and early morning participant
Benefits of Aqua Gymstick
- Higher intensity workout
- Increased recruitment of muscle fibres, especially in the upper body
- Improved challenges for balance and coordination training
- Requires greater engagement of core muscles
- Enables the creation of turbulence in addition to band resistance for added challenges
- Excellent for rehabilitation
- Effective in shallow pools, unlike some other aquatic tools
- Easy to use and instruct
The Aqua Gymstick is straightforward to use. To adjust band resistance, roll the stick to tighten or unravel for less resistance. Maintain tension during exercises, adjusting bands for specific movements. Avoid rolling bands over the soft foam grip and stretching them beyond four times their original length to prevent damage.
rinse the tool with clean water and let it drain upright after use. Dry in a shaded area, avoiding direct sunlight or hot air exposure. Store in an Aqua bag or similar material. Replace damaged bands, and note different resistance bands are available in three colours: Green/Light (1-22lb), Blue/Medium (1-33lb), and Black/Strong (1-44lb).
How to Structure a Gymstick H20 Class
An introduction to a Gymstick H20 class is necessary, especially with clients who have never used the Aqua Gymstick. Communicate several tips to the client so their first experience with the Aqua Gymstick is successful.
- Explain band positioning around the feet and the use of adjustable buckles.
- Recommend Aqua shoes for foot protection and to ensure that the adjustable straps remain secured.
- Demonstrate hand grip variations and how to adjust band tension.
- Perform three exercises twice in a 5-minute block.
- Focus on fatiguing one muscle group, incorporating balance and coordination.
- 30-seconds per exercise with a 10-second break between and a 20-second break between halves.
- 40-second break between Trios to prepare for the next set.
- Primary exercise, Progression 1, and Progression 2 within each Trio.
“Deep water aerobics and Gymstick have helped me get rid of my sciatic pain that I have endured for 2 years. They have also helped me lose over 5 kilos and tone my muscles without aggravating my back. If you have exhausted all avenues and still haven’t achieved the results you wanted, I highly recommend that you give them a try.”
Regular Deep Water Aqua evening participant
“Just wanted to let you know how impressed I am with the Gymsticks. I got the chance to use one this morning and thinking that this wasn’t for me but decided to give it a go. I found having my feet in the stirrups made me feel the benefit of using my legs more and I was doing a lot move different movements than the dumbbells. What’s more fantastic for me is that recently I have only been able to use one dumbbell because my left hand and thumb has become so arthritic, holding and pushing the dumbbell in the water really hurt and I was feeling frustrated. Now, operating the Gymstick is going to be wonderful and will enable me to use both hands.”
Liz, regular participant in Deep Water Aqua 9.30 group
“I have been attending Power Aqua and aqua aerobic classes for 12 years, initially in Geelong, when we lived in Victoria, and lately in Hobart. The use of the dumbbells gives the necessary resistance work that it is essential for bone health, but after using the heaviest ones (with the most resistance and buoyancy) for some time, there is little opportunity to progress further.
Since Jo introduced me to the Gymstick I purchased one. It is a marvellous extension to resistance work. It is possible to commence use at a low level and to work up to a greater resistance – similar to the resistance straps in use at the physiotherapists.
- The use of the aqua sticks involves resistance in the legs
- The torso and abdominal – core muscles get a greater workout
- The use is incremental in degree of difficulty
I can attest that I rarely get puffed even in an excellent workout with dumbbells, but I always increase my heart rate and am puffed and hot following a workout with the stick.”
Elizabeth Williams – Aqua Gymstick participant