The Gymstick Older Adult education is the latest addition to the Gymstick education. This education was developed in response to feedback from Gymstick trainers requiring a more individualised program tailored to the needs of older adults. This training will provide personal trainers, group exercise instructors,
physiotherapists and exercise physiologists with the tools to be able to provide their clients with varied, safe, appropriate and effective workout.
This education includes:
- How the Gymstick can be used to cater for different needs: Physical and cognitive abilities, injuries, flexibility, strength, balance and endurance
- How to provide modifications for different health issues that are specific to older adults
- How to develop functional training to suit the specific needs of the client
- How to challenge balance, proprioception, muscle strength and endurance and joint stability safely
- How to incorporate use of a chair, walls and beds or benches with the Gymstick for a safe and effective workout
- Using the Trios concept, develop exercises that provide progressive overload that is appropriate for the individual and their needs
The Gymstick Older Adult education will demonstrate how a Gymstick can be Simply
Effective for a variety of older adults in a group exercise format, personal training program or as an independent exercise tool.
Why use the Gymstick ?
The Gymstick is designed to offer total body resistance training, by allowing for hundreds of movements and variations, replicating free weight exercises. However, unlike free weights which introduce load in a downward direction as a result of gravity, Gymstick provides resistance in virtually any desired direction and in any position.
Gymstick also has attachment points to either side of the body’s centre of gravity which means the more the bands are stretched, the greater the challenge on the body’s musculature to maintain a stable trunk position. This ensures the body’s core is effectively ‘switched on’ during even the most basic exercises. The instability created by these co-dependent levers also help to improve joint strength and stability.
In order to complete a movement effectively with the Gymstick, more eccentric control is required (than with free weights), which acts to increase the pre loading necessary for an effective concentric muscle action. This assists in maintaining tendon integrity and reduces the risk of injury.