I recently had the opportunity to attend and present at this convention in Florida. This year was my second IAFC (and there were things that I completely missed the last year) so it was great to attend again this year to appreciate the full benefits of this event.
There were a few things that I really enjoyed, which I look forward to experiencing again next year (yep – I am definitely going back).
1. The whole conference starts on Monday with pre convention workshops and full sessions start on a Tuesday. The whole show is over on Saturday night – that is 4 days of aqua workshops. Amazing.
2. On the Tuesday evening, IAFC had a charity dinner (buffet style) and it was a wonderful way to warm up for the rest of the week and break the ice with new people.
3. The Friday night gala is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I don’t know of another single conference that does something like this and it is certainly a brilliant way for people to come together. There is a theme for the night and this year it was Atlantis. The outfits and costumes that some of the instructors and presenters wore were truly incredible and created a great atmosphere. I loved it and the night ended up with almost everyone on the dance floor doing their thing. Joyful is the word that comes to mind when I think of the Friday night gala.
4. The Saturday night masterclass finale was a fantastic way to finish a week of education. A selection of the presenting team taught 5 min blocks, to a pool filled with enthusiastic excited instructors. Afterwards it was like no one wanted it to end – including me.
5. Variety – this I think was what I appreciated the most. There wasn’t a ‘this is how aqua must be taught’ attitude and IAFC embraces the world of water fitness without judgement. From lectures on nutrition and physiology; how to break down choreography in the water, it was all out there for you to choose what you liked and what you could take away. In itself, IAFC was a smorgasbord of ideas and concepts.
I will definitely make IAFC an event that I will make every effort to go to every year – and coming home with a tan was a bonus.