|Industial Strength Step|
Objectively ask yourself the following questions...
Have the choreography in your step classes become low intensity, so you feel a faster speed is necessary?
Have “The Moves” become more important than the cardiovascular benefits?
Have some participants left classes in search of something that gives them a better workout?
Step workouts can be both interesting and creative, and effective enough to deliver the cardiovascular responses that our clients demand. Heart rate readings were how we used to determine the intensity of a class, but we don’t seem to do this any more. So how do you verify that your classes are an effective workout?
Elements of intensity
q Travel – Movement across and around the step or travelling a move that is low intensity on the spot eg; stomps
q Repetition – Learning curves and base moves that are high in intensity.
q Range of movement and technique delivery of each movement pattern
q Effective holding patterns e.g. Alternating knee lifts rather than basic step, alternating kicks rather than leg curls.
q Different approaches – The step can be approached from the back, either end or from the front. Utilizing all of these will make your choreography interesting and if you are using different approaches in the same routine, it can make the class more physically challenging. Care must be taken when using different approaches to make sure that you are achieving a more intense workout and not a more complex class, which could be less physically demanding.
When choreographing your next routine ask yourself the following questions:
q Does the end product utilise the space around the step e.g. Does it use the step as a 3 dimensional tool, or have different approaches?
q Take note of the number times you ask the class to do basic step or a march as you demonstrate the next progression. Use the opportunity to elevate heart rate with basic but intense exercises e.g. knee lifts or flick kicks.
q Are there sections of the learning curves that can be repeated several times to elevate heart rate but not decrease interest? As professional instructors, we start classes with choreography goals. In an effort to achieve these goals, subconsciously we may rush through effective cardiovascular learning curves.
Repeat routine on Left Leg
10) Layer ½ rocking horse = knee, hop, mambo, chasse and 2x alternating leg curls
11) Add = knee, hop, mambo, chasse and 6x alternating leg curls
12) Layer 2x leg curls = knee, hop, mambo, chasse, 2x cut the corner and 4x alternating leg curls
13) Layer 2x cut the corner = knee, hop, mambo, chasse, 2x double stomp cut the corner, 2x alternating leg curls and 2x leg curl repeater
14) Add together = 2x (2x leg curl switch, straddle down and step over), knee, hop, mambo, chasse, 2x double stomp cut the corner
Repeat routine on Left Leg
10) Add together = 2x knee repeater box step, 2x stomps around the corner, 2x shuffles, 2x kick repeater and 2x basic step
11) Teach 5x kick repeater and 1x basic step
12) Layer 5x kick repeater = 1x kick gallop bwds and 2x kick repeater and 1x basic
13) Layer1x kick gallop bwds and 2x kick repeater = 1x kick, gallop bwds, gallop fwds, “Rewind and fast forward” and 4x marches and 1x basic step
14) Add = 1x kick, rewind and fast forward, 8x marches around step and 4x basic steps
15) Layer 8x marches around step and 4x basic steps = 1x kick, rewind and fast forward, 3x marches around step “Cut the corner”, 4x marches on the step,1x stomp and 3x basic step
16) Layer 4x marches on the step = 1x kick, rewind and fast forward, cut the corner, 4x jogs on the step, 1x stomp and 3x basic step
17) Layer 4x jogs on the step = 1x kick, rewind and fast forward, cut the corner, 4x pendulum swing on step, 1x stomp and 3x basic step
18) Add together = 2x knee repeater box step, 2x stomps around the corner, 2x shuffles, 1x kick, rewind and fast forward, cut the corner, and 4x pendulum swing on step
Repeat on the left leg
10) Add together for final product = step up wide, double knee lift, single knee lift and turn backwards, 3x marches to face step, step from corner to corner, 3x alternating superman over step, 2x step across in a hurry