In this issue
DID YOU KNOW??
your most active muscles are in your eye
GYMSTICK MASTER TRAINING 2012 FINLAND
GYMSTICK MASTER TRAINING 2012 FINLAND
"And a massive thank you to all of you for a very smooth structured schedule. Everything worked out so well. It was a tough week but very enjoyable and inspirational.
Thank you for so many new experiences....jumping into a frozen lake, fitness bag, cross country triple man skiing, Gymstick for Kids & Seniors.
I have never heard the word "amazing " used so much over a week. It was on the tip of everyone's tongue.
I endeavour to grow Gymstick in Ireland. Step by step...
With much respect"
What is an X strap?
X-Strap - Is a Velcro strap designed to hold the bands together to avoid having to cross the bands twice to manipulate the Gymstick to do abduction exercises. Crossing the bands in this way will break the bands, and thus the X-Strap is effective in avoiding this. Very clever little thing it is!
Click here to buy your now
You tell us!!
If you have a success story or testimonial you would like to see in this newsletter, please email
Mesmerising Myofacial Meridians
Last year at the Get Active NZ conference I attend a session delivered by Ian O'Dwyer. I was super impressed by his presentation and his humility. Ian presented a session of myofascial meridians and I was completely mesmerised by the information and his presenting style. I approached Ian afterwards and asked if I could learn more from him and he humbly said yes. Two weeks ago I travelled up north to Noosa Heads where he runs a successful PT business and spent an amazing day with Ian.
What did I get out of the experience? I actually learnt more than what I had intended to and I certainly feel that the day was worth more than the effort it took to organise it. Below is a summary of my top 10 (because I learnt much more than 10 things).
- Ian has a great sense of humour and he shares that willingly with his clients. He ENJOYS working with his clients and I felt that they did too.
- Get the client to take their shoes off. Ian's studio is designed for clients to workout safely without wearing footwear. You can learn a lot from watching people move without shoes
- The first thing to do, and I loved this, is to start by asking them to walk up and down a room and observe carefully how they move. No, there was no 'hop on the treadmill, bike, cross trainer for warm up'. Just walk and wow...the things that you can see when they do this
- Ian based his personal training session on the 'walk' session and on the individual needs of his clients. This is based on his intuition from all his years of experience and understanding of myofascial meridian lines. From here is provided the session that his clients most needed on that day
- Constantly assess. Ian's methodology was to ask the client to walk, then ask them to perform an exercise, then walk, then another activity, which sometimes was using a power plate, then walk and so on. It was amazing to watch visible changes to locomotion and hear the client express that they had less pain or discomfort from an injury.
- Ian used a power plate extensively during his sessions – not to exercise on, but to stretch and release and to increase blood flow. It was more rehabilitative method of using the power plate which I had never seen before
- Use of games. This fits in with Ian's personality and his institution of client needs. He explained to me the importance of getting clients to do exercises that they are 'emotionally connected' to. I really liked this concept as often as exercise professionals, we deliver training sessions that WE are emotionally connected to, rather than the client.
- Avoid thinking 'muscles' and think 'fascia'. This is going to be one of my greatest mental shifts that I will be challenged with, but I am going to do it. I know from personal experience that focusing on muscles is not always the most successful way to achieve results. I like the challenge J
- Avoid the obvious – this is my three words that I will say to myself every time I assess movement in the future. If we look at a shoulder that is hitching up, is it the shoulder, or perhaps it is a tightness somewhere else in the body which is causing the compensation. Ahhh, now I have to really think.
- Passion. Yes, everyone says it and gives it so much lip service that it can become cliché. Ian is not cliché in anyway shape or form. Ian is passionate, funny, humble, intuitive and wise. I will be a much better trainer, group fitness instructor and educator because of my short but intense experience with him. Thank you!
Simplecue is software designed to make our class preparation time a lot smoother.
In their own words, the Simplecue mission is;
"To create amazing tools that make the experience of creating fitness choreography painless, affordable, fun and very social. We're creating a new way to bring together music, video, choreography and beautiful software. Our belief is that it's time for you to have the best technology possible, that works with all the devices that you use, and makes things simple."
Check out www.simplecue.com and 'like' their facebook page www.facebook.com/simplecue
Tricks, Tools and Trades of Program Coordinating
Acknowledging that the group fitness coordinator is one of the most challenging roles within a fitness facility, this informative two day workshop will provide you with detailed knowledge and tools to be an effective team leader and to navigate the challenges that face all coordinators.
Wednesday 11th & Thursday 12th July 2012
Times each day: 8am – 4.30pm
Click here for more information and bookings
Day one topics to be covered will include:
- Programming, reporting and budgets
- Feedback and communication
- Staff meetings
- Marketing and promotions
- Wellness programming
Day two topics to be covered will include:
- How to create the 'right' team
- Interviews, auditions and inductions
- How to find instructors, mentoring and class coverage
- How to deal with unreliable instructors
- Defining loyalty and creating staff incentives
"As a National Manager I am always looking for unique programs that will give both members and prospects a point of difference from our competitors. The launch of Gymstick Muscle, along with incorporating gymsticks into other classes, has been a huge selling point for our timetables. Classes continue to reach capacity (40-60), and members are now requesting additional classes so they can substitute more Gymstick Muscle in place of traditional barbell programs. I would highly recommend Gymstick Muscle to any club owner and Group X Manager who wants to continually innovate their timetables, and ensure they offer programs that get results...Fast!"
National Group Fitness Manager - Goodlife Health Clubs Australia
GYMSTICK MUSCLE PERTH Saturday 9th June Click here for info and bookings
AQUA GYMSTICK PERTH Sunday 10th June Click here for info and bookings
GYMSTICK MUSCLE MELBOURNE Sunday 24th June Click here for info and bookings
GYMSTICK FOR OLDER ADULTS Friday 13th July Click here for info and bookings
2012 Masterblaster is planned and ready to be booked. You can already book via the website The early bird deadline is 31st May. To book click here.
This fabulous freestyle convention, now in its 9th year, has been a huge success every year with over 200 delegates booked in and many sessions completely booked out more than a month before the event. So if you want to be part of this motivating and inspiration series of masterclasses, make sure you book NOW. Once the session is booked, it's too late ... there are no waiting lists. First in best dressed.
For more info on Marietta's session and to download the 2012 brochure and booking form click here.
Step Under Construction
Take The Next Step In Your Career
Presenters Inc 2012
The course is designed to assist instructors wanting to start presenting in the following areas:
Management and Business
EARLY BIRD PRICE $495 if book and pay by 30th April 2012.
(Early bird discount will be applied upon receipt of booking).
NORMAL PRICE $550
For more info click here
"The presenter course equipped me with the skills and confidence to not only present masterclasses, but also to grow as an instructor. It challenged me on a personal level and allowed me to take my career on a path I never even dreamt it would go. Not only that, it was heaps of fun!" Joyce Ford
Exercise of the month- Aqua Gymstick Trio
Emphasis – Deltoids and abductors
Primary- Feet in wide stance, shoulder press – overhand grip (options for shoulder press – forehead, above the head, fully extended above head)
Progression 1- Ariel jack starting with feet together and hold Gymstick in yoga poste
Progression 2- Jack with shoulder press – overhand grip
Testimonial of the month- Jenny Harrison
There are some people who change lives. Marietta is one of these people. Her energy and passion inspires others to reach their full potential and she revels in the success of others. Marietta works tirelessly to help instructors achieve the highest possible standard of presenting.
Marietta's days are filled with mentoring sessions and group fitness classes. These are her passions and she is either meeting with people who have asked her for advice or taking group fitness classes that are renowned for their energy and innovation.
Marietta values and respects each person she mentors and after our sessions I always go home feeling inspired and confident that I will achieve my goals.
Marietta is one in a million. She took me under her wing, believed in me, and encouraged me to chase my dream of developing FAB freestyle.
When talking with Marietta I can't help but be inspired. I go home wanting to be the best instructor I can be – I find I want to emulate her energy, her enthusiasm and her sheer joy of being a group fitness instructor.